Friday, June 12, 2009

Pancakes and Bulgogi Burgers


I apologize to all of my faithful readers since I've taken far too long to write a new entry. Mostly, I've been trying to acclimate to Korean life and culture. Last Sunday, Pam and I went to Gyeongbokgung Palace and the National Folk Museum of Korea. If any of you find yourselves in Seoul, I highly recommend visiting these places. Afterward, we walked around the "Beverly Hills" of Korea, Samcheondong-gil Street. Although very fancy, it was kind of weird to see Italian restaurants every 10 feet. And no, I didn't see Korean Tori Spelling. We did find an apparently famous restaurant that serves a delicious seafood pancake. After lunch, we found the South Korean president's house, took some pictures, then ran away because some police were glaring at us. Once we had our fill of fashion shops and police, Pam and I walked towards a subway stop to go to 63 City, home of the highest art musuem in the world, an aquarium, and an IMAX movie theatre. Obvi, we had to go. While walking, we passed this huge building that was surrounded with Seoul police, one stationed every 5-10 feet around the circumference of the building. These guys weren't really doing anything, just standing there, guarding. Of course I looked at Pam and said, "What the heck building is this? Who do these people think they are?" Then I saw Old Glory flapping in the wind in the building's courtyard. Yes, I realized my mistake, waved and said hello to our embassy.

So anyways, we find the subway station, ride to 63 City, and buy the "All Inclusive" Pass. This pass entitles us to watch one of the most horrifying children's films of all time on an IMAX. I mean I'm liberal and support environmental conservation, but this was propaganda. Basically, this movie was about how the human race is going to die unless we save the environment. Somehow they managed to include anime, trains, a semi-human race evolving from dinosaurs, and bodysuits. Yet, the kids loved it. Next was the aquarium, which was awesome because there was this tank that have those skin-eating fish that you can stick your hand in. It tickles. The art museum was okay, but there was a Marilyn Monroe Andy Warhol painting, always cool.

Once Pam and I returned, we decided to try the "Bulgogi Burger" at McDonald's that are boss was raving about. Yes, I know I went to a McDonald's, but Korean ones serve this special burger with bulgogi meat as the patty. But don't worry, we won't be back...it was gross. I like bulgogi and I like burgers, but the two don't work together. Pam and I should have known because literally no one was eating that thing in the entirety of the 4-floored McDonald's. Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment