Saturday, June 6, 2009

First Full Day



So I'm living in a dorm room, Mu-Ak Building 3A, Room 104, to be exact. Although I may be a college graduate, I apparently have to follow more rules than freshmen at Catholic colleges. We have curfew at 1am. If we are not in the building by that time, we get locked out until 5:30am. Also, no males are allowed in our room, ever. Not that I was planning on entertaining any gentlemen callers, but really? The air conditioning is currently being remodeled, so hopefully we will have an update by June 8th. But anyways, I'll get to the good stuff. My project partner, Pam, and I have to walk to the Yonsei University School of Nursing building every morning. Unfortunately, the Yonsei campus is not as compact as Johns Hopkins, nor as flat, so after a mile stroll through a forest, we arrive at our destination.

Since it's almost Finals Period here at Yonsei, no one has spoken to us. Well at least that's the excuse Pam and I are making up. Our whole floor is apparently filled with medical and dental students, but I've only seen one neighbor. The one nursing student who has offered to show us around can't speak English. I'm pretty sure Dr. Yoo, our PI, is going to have to bribe some of theses kids to hang out with us.

We also made our first trip out into Seoul, in the Sinchon district right outside the Yonsei gates. Nothing too exciting happened. Pam and I managed to order lunch with the little Korean "Arrested Development" taught us. I had to buy some toiletries, so we stopped in some type of Korean Rite Aid. Since I didn't want to buy expensive imported Colgate toothpaste, I went with Korean brand "Clinx", the Anti-Calculus variety. I have no idea what "Anti-Calculus" means in regards to toothpaste, but I agree with the statement, so I bought it. The paste actually doesn't taste that bad. We came back, exhausted from our trek back up the mountain that is between Sinchon and our dorms and took a mega-nap for four hours, or a "mini-coma" as Dane Cook would say. I woke up, ate some chips, then went back to bed.

4 comments:

  1. Funny toothpaste! Glad you didn't get the Kim-Chee flavor....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO EXCITED TO STALK YOUR BLOG.

    I hope there are pro-calculus varieties of toothpaste for me over there, as I am very pro-math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Jess Brown by the way...haha. I forgot I didn't put my full name into Google.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog!! And I say just stay out until 5 am :)

    ReplyDelete