Saturday, June 13, 2009

Double Deuce in Sinchon


Sorry, I know this is long over due...

As some of you may know, my birthday was on June 9th. Unfortunately, this was a Tuesday, but Dr. Yoo bought me a cake and Pam sang Happy Birthday at work. Later in the evening, two friends from college who both happen to be in Seoul right now, Ahra and Sunmin, met up with me and Pam for drinks. Since Pam and I still haven't mastered the Korean language yet, it was nice to order something without pointing and hoping you end up liking what the waiter brings out. First, we drank some rice cocktail out of chilled metal bowls. Then I consumed a measurable quantity of soju and apple juice. Since it was my birthday, I was supposed to consume the most, so of course I didn't disappoint. Unfortunately, we have recently entered "Monsoon Season" here in Korea, so there was a torrential downpour that met us outside. Since we were already in our neighborhood, cab drivers refused to drive us up the "mountain" to our dorm. We had to walk, it was horrible, and I never want to do that again.

That Thursday, we decided to go to Hongdae for Ladies' Night at Club Q-Vo. After meeting up with Sunmin and Ahra, we all grabbed dinner. Now let me tell you, that was the spiciest food I have ever had, hands down. We all, including the Koreans, were crying and blowing out noses and finally couldn't eat anymore. It wasn't that it didn't taste bad, it was just that when we put the food in our mouths, our tongues would subconsciously push the food back out of our mouths. We then decided to grab a beer at a GS-25, a Korean 7/11 (which they also have). Since we all had no idea about "open container" laws, we weren't sure if we could enjoy our popscicles and beer on the street...we did anyway. Then a cop drove by and we all turned around and ducked down, just like when we are at home. Some things just never change.

The club, on the other hand, was absolutely hysterical. Most of the kids seemed young, like they were in middle school, which had to be false since every one had to be 18 to get in. The outfits these boys and girls were wearing were epic...everything from bunny ears and short skirts to "thugs" in wife-beaters and Tims. Yet most of all, I was confused by all of the dancing. I suppose and am used to the "bump-and-grind" of American clubs, but seriously, some of these kids looked like they were trying out for Riverdance. (I assumed they were trying to crip-walk. I must admit, I cannot crip-walk either, but I also don't attempt to pretend to do so in public.) Pam got yelled at for taking pictures, which you are apparently not supposed to do in Korean clubs. Also, drinks are really expensive so I recommend that you pre-game before you go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment